Jim Fulton wrote:

On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
[snip]
I also have the feeling that our goal for ad-hoc querying would be incompatible with your envisioned framework for defining
collections and indexes.

I guess I have no idea what you are talking about.

I assumed you meant something along the lines of what people expect
of relational databases.  In the relational world, people define
tables and indexes in order to be able to do indexed ad-hoc queries.
Maybe you are talking about something else.

It is interesting to compare with XML databases. Some XML databases like MonetDB or eXist offer XPath queries into the database without anyone having to pre-define indexes. Basically these databases tend to index the entire tree structure. I'd suggest reading the eXist papers that are about. I'd also take a look at MonetDB, as at its core it's a general database system which has a RDB and XML db built on top.

http://monetdb.cwi.nl/

I'm not sure how many of these ideas can be translated to work for Python structures - XPath is rather specific to XML, after all. But if anyone wants to talk about my ideas on all this, let me know. :)

Regards,

Martijn