Hi there -

   Thanks for all the responses; Just for the benefit of others,
   below is the compiled responses for differentiating
   sparse and whole root zones:

   Basically, to look for the four default inherit-pkg-dir in the zonepath

   /lib
   /platform
   /sbin
   /usr

   ~ In case of a sparse root zone above are mounted read-only from the
      global zone and usually can not write into them

~ In case of whole-root you wouldnt see the above instances in the zonepath
      and also /usr or /lib are writeable

Thanks,
~Latha.

De Mena, Ron wrote:

The four that should be restricted from write are /usr, /lib, /platform,
/sbin

/etc & /var should never be inherited.

-- Ron