Is this true for OpenSolaris? My experience:

I was trying to upgrade from "SunOS 5.11 snv_28" to "SunOS 5.11 snv_54" where
my NGZ zone roots were set to a zfs mount point like below:

NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zpool               93.8G  40.1G    26K  /zpool
zpool/zones         3.50G  40.1G  1.68G  /zpool/zones

Upgrading to SNV_54 did not work for me (CD|DVD|Live-Upgrade). The install
procedure was cancelled after it came to the NGZ ZFS setup part. However - I
was enforced to to a full re-install of the whole OS. By this time, I decided
to have an OS independent application setup: I decided to leave all my
Non-Solaris apps within the following structure:

NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zpool               93.8G  40.1G    26K  /zpool
zpool/applic        2.40G  40.1G  2.40G  /zpool/applic
zpool/bin            108M  40.1G   108M  /zpool/bin
zpool/data           644M  40.1G   644M  /zpool/data
zpool/logs          1.03G  40.1G  1.03G  /zpool/logs

This means, Apache, Tomcat, Bind DNS, Postfix, MySQL, Berkeley-DB, ... was
installed using a prefix (e.g. ./configure --prefix=/zpool/applic/named)

This gives me some independencies to the core OS located
in /sbin; /usr/bin, ...

After I moved all my apps into my own prefix path (ZFS mount poing), I did
another full reinstall of the OS, where I found out that I should have backed
up some files from the core OS before. Especially I should have backed up the
following files from the GZ and all NGZ.

a) /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf
b) /etc/hostname.XX,
c) /etc/init.d/startup-scripts (my own releases)

After I did another full setup (not upgrading), I created the zones using the
famous zonemgr script and brought back all applications by just mounting
the /zpool/applic/path into the NGZ path.

This way, I was pretty fast in upgrading the whole system to a new Nevada
build, even upgrading would be the preferred solution to me.

I do not know if I with SNV_54, another upgrade from SNV_54 to SNV_55 is
supported by OpenSolaris. That is why this thread is of interest to me.

My 2 cents

Ivan