Jerry, Thank you for your response. See my zonecfg of the named NGZ here:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # zonecfg -z named export
create -b
set zonepath=/zpool/zones/named
set autoboot=true
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/lib
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/platform
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/sbin
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/usr
end
add fs
set dir=/zpool/applic/bind-9.3.2-P1
set special=/zpool/applic/bind-9.3.2-P1/
set type=lofs
add options ro
add options nodevices
end
add fs
set dir=/zpool/data/named
set special=/zpool/data/named
set type=lofs
add options rw
add options nodevices
end
add net
set address=1.2.3.4/27
set physical=qfe3
end
add net
set address=21.2.3.5/27
set physical=qfe3
end
add net
set address=10.10.10.10/24
set physical=qfe4
end
add attr
set name=comment
set type=string
set value="Zone named"
end

Remark: IP addresses obfuscated. Rest is original.

============= MISC ========================

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # zoneadm list -cv
  ID NAME             STATUS         PATH                           BRAND
   0 global           running        /                              native
   1 gcc              running        /zpool/zones/gcc               native
   3 mail             running        /zpool/zones/mail              native
   4 named            running        /zpool/zones/named             native
   5 tomcat           running        /zpool/zones/tomcat            native
   6 apache           running        /zpool/zones/apache            native

Another favorite: I do never compile anything within the GZ. I do always
configure, make, make install within the gcc NGZ and monitor activities via
execsnoop DTrace tool.

http://www.brendangregg.com/DTrace/execsnoop

Ivan

On Thursday 08 February 2007 16:36, Jerry Jelinek wrote:
> Ivan Buetler wrote:
> > Is this true for OpenSolaris? My experience:
> >
> > I was trying to upgrade from "SunOS 5.11 snv_28" to "SunOS 5.11 snv_54"
> > where my NGZ zone roots were set to a zfs mount point like below:
> >
> > NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> > zpool               93.8G  40.1G    26K  /zpool
> > zpool/zones         3.50G  40.1G  1.68G  /zpool/zones
> >
> > Upgrading to SNV_54 did not work for me (CD|DVD|Live-Upgrade). The
> > install procedure was cancelled after it came to the NGZ ZFS setup part.
> > However - I was enforced to to a full re-install of the whole OS. By this
> > time, I decided to have an OS independent application setup: I decided to
> > leave all my Non-Solaris apps within the following structure:
> >
> > NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> > zpool               93.8G  40.1G    26K  /zpool
> > zpool/applic        2.40G  40.1G  2.40G  /zpool/applic
> > zpool/bin            108M  40.1G   108M  /zpool/bin
> > zpool/data           644M  40.1G   644M  /zpool/data
> > zpool/logs          1.03G  40.1G  1.03G  /zpool/logs
> >
> > This means, Apache, Tomcat, Bind DNS, Postfix, MySQL, Berkeley-DB, ...
> > was installed using a prefix (e.g. ./configure
> > --prefix=/zpool/applic/named)
> >
> > This gives me some independencies to the core OS located
> > in /sbin; /usr/bin, ...
> >
> > After I moved all my apps into my own prefix path (ZFS mount poing), I
> > did another full reinstall of the OS, where I found out that I should
> > have backed up some files from the core OS before. Especially I should
> > have backed up the following files from the GZ and all NGZ.
> >
> > a) /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/nsswitch.conf,
> > /etc/resolv.conf b) /etc/hostname.XX,
> > c) /etc/init.d/startup-scripts (my own releases)
> >
> > After I did another full setup (not upgrading), I created the zones using
> > the famous zonemgr script and brought back all applications by just
> > mounting the /zpool/applic/path into the NGZ path.
> >
> > This way, I was pretty fast in upgrading the whole system to a new Nevada
> > build, even upgrading would be the preferred solution to me.
> >
> > I do not know if I with SNV_54, another upgrade from SNV_54 to SNV_55 is
> > supported by OpenSolaris. That is why this thread is of interest to me.
>
> Ivan,
>
> I am not sure if I completely understand your configuration, but you
> can upgrade a system with zones that have delegated zfs datasets or
> where you just used lofs mounts to mount the zfs filesystems into the
> zone.  This would apply when all you have is data or non-Solaris pkgs
> installed in the zfs filesystems.  Since the upgrade code does not
> have to discover and mount the zfs filesystems to perform the upgrade
> of the OS, this type of configuration works fine.  We would have to
> see your actual zonecfg info to be sure that you haven't set things
> up in a way that would prevent the upgrade though.
>
> Jerry

Ivan Buetler
Compass Security Network Computing AG
Glärnischstrasse 7, CH-8640 Rapperswil, Switzerland

 Tel +41 55 214 41 62
 Fax +41 55 214 41 61
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.csnc.ch

 PGP: 539D 2C1B F338 66C6 AD00  ABB9 68B5 4976 2E9A 98EA

 Security Review - Penetration Testing - Computer Forensics