It sounds like we're saying that NFS is just a basic system service that we want to provide from our already existing - and independently-managed - zones, rather than setting up zones specifically to provide separate NFS services (with the various exceptions e.g. Jumpstart testing).

That seems to make a lot of sense.

Thanks much for enumerating your reasons for us, Octave & Jeff, that's exactly what I was looking for.

As Tom says, what remains, perhaps, is to define exactly how things should look, and behave, and I seem to be hearing: generally as it would in the global zone. Obviously, there are subtleties to be worked through, here.

cheers,
c.