On 3/30/07, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
thank you for the good responses.

Since i know that there are many I can approach this, I believe  for know, for
the sake of learning etc.. I believe what I want to accomplish is a seperate
/usr/local/ and add necessary apps/binaries as needed.

one last thing, is there a way of using some of the global stuff such as 'gcc',
even if it is in the /usr/local/* location even though in my inital statement I
said i want a spereate /usr/local/*. The only reason I ask is stuff like 'gcc'
is something used vasely, and I do not whant to re-invent the wheel and have to
recompile it and waste additional space if it is not necessary. I'm sure i'm
just trying to wish for something I not reasonable.

That is exactly Rich's recommendation.  Put gcc into /opt/local, or
you can just use /usr/sfw/bin/gcc.

--
Just me,
Wire ...