If zones are detached, they are ignored while patching. So if symantec
implemeted the detach attach approach the patching situation will get
worse over time, even if you created 2 zones. on w nodes. Forget one
time to attach a zone manually before patching, and you may get into
trouble. If you are really out of luck you will notice the problems
months after the patching.

Sun Cluster 3.2 has a different approach to solve this issue. It treats
zones as virtual nodes and the will be up and running all the time. You
switch the application between the zones. Another advantage here is that
nearly all of the Sun cluster agents are supported to run in zones.

Anderson, Ryan C (US SSA) wrote:
> You do not need to create two separate copies of zones. You can
> accomplish zone failover between nodes on SAN-attached disk with the
> Zone VCS agent on VCS 4.1 and 5.0. You can import non-global zones onto
> all VCS nodes that have an /etc/zones/index entry as well as the same
> /etc/zones/<zonename>.xml as eachother. Symantec told me they will be
> adding a proper detach/attach into 5.x. When they first made the VCS
> Zone agent, there was no such functionality in Solaris, but it has been
> now since Solaris 10 update 3. You can contact me off-list if you would
> like more specifics.
> --
> UNIX Administrator, BAE Systems Land & Armaments
> desk 763-572-6684  mobile 612-419-9362

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.

 Detlef Ulherr
 Project Engineer                               Tel: (++49 6103) 752-248
 Client Solutions                               Fax: (++49 6103) 752-167
 Sun Microsystems GmbH
 Amperestra├če 6                                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 63225 Langen                                   http://www.sun.de/

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028