On 9/26/07, Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:52:29PM +0100, Peter Tribble wrote:
> > Isn't this as easy as changing the format specifier from %8.8s to %8s?
> >
> > OK, so then the columns don't line up. How much is this a problem?
>
> It's a big problem.

Bigger than giving completely incorrect output?

> Personally, I think ps needs an option to output
> non-column oriented text.

OK, so I need to work out how wide the column should be
and expand it to suit?

> In the meantime you can use ptree(1) and friends instead of ps(1) and
> avoid the problem, I think.

I'm not sure how that helps. The question I wanted ps to give
me the answer to was simple: show me what processes a user
is running, and add on which zone they're in so I know which
zones are in use. Now, 'ps -flZ -u fred' would seem to be the
ideal command to use, but due to this bug it isn't.

(It gets even worse when truncated zone names become the same,
and doubly worse when there's a valid 8-character zone name that
matches a truncated name. Grrrr. Might be ever so easy to reboot
the wrong zone by mistake ;-()

I've just noticed something else. If you have an 8-character username
it runs into the zone name in the output on S10. On nevada 69, there's
a space but the headers don't line up. (I'm guessing that a space was
added after the zonename but that the "ZONE" header didn't get the
extra space added.)

--
-Peter Tribble