On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:41:27PM +0100, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Why do you think we limit usernames to 8 characters still?  It's because
> > of things like ps(1) and ls(1) that like to use fixed-width columns.
>
> But they aren't limited to 8 characters. Usernames can be longer.

Yes.  And no.

There's a large variety of silly limits on username length, from 8
_characters_ (or is it width? well, we don't really do I18N for
usernames...) to 32 _bytes_.

The 8 character limit is all about column formatting in tools like ps(1)
and ls(1).  The 32 byte limit is from utmpx.

Usernames <= 8 chars will work for everything.  Usernames > 8 chars may
break some scripts.  Usernames > 32 may fail to login, and anyways their
usernames will be truncated in utmpx.

> Even worse is the lack of consistency - as I recall ps -u looks
> at the first 10 characters of a username when looking for a match.
> We need to get rid of this, once and for all.

Yes, yes we do.  IIRC there are bugs filed for this, and Darren Moffat
has a web page somewhere listing all of these problems.

Nico