On Dec 3, 2007 5:43 AM, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It doesn't always work very well, which is why I generally recommend
> against /etc/netmasks.  It may have been an ok interface 20 years ago,
> but with CIDR, it's mostly a defect looking for a place to happen.

If using only a local netmasks file, it works quite well.  I much
prefer to have one authoritative netmasks file per system than having
system administrators specifying the mask every time "addif ..." is
added to /etc/hostname.* or a zone is created.

It is quite likely that /etc/netmasks is not as desirable in
situations where lots of networks are referenced.  For example,
systems with non-trivial firewall (or similar) rules would most likely
benefit from CIDR notation because you may have some rules that apply
to 10.0.0.0/8 with more refined rules for 10.27.45.128/25.
/etc/netmasks would be worthless for that.

For configuring IP addresses on the typical machine bolted to a rack
or sitting on a desk, /etc/netmasks is quite manageable, stable, and
desirable.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/