On Dec 3, 2007 8:45 AM, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Besides the look-up ambiguity, there are also the chicken-and-egg
> problems that occur when users accidentally configure the system to
> use NIS or some other directory service for netmask resolution.
> Trying to configure an interface using a service that's reachable only
> by talking on that interface doesn't work very well unless the
> protocol was designed to be used that way -- and NIS was not.  In
> fact, at least inside Sun, it's a somewhat common way to produce
> apparent "hangs" on boot.

Getting netmasks from NIS is a bug.  /etc/nsswitch.{nis,ldap,etc}
should not suggest that this is a good practice.

> I much prefer DHCP or BOOTP for these cases.  It's centrally managed,
> so you don't have to tweak each machine to have the right information,
> and it's standards-based, so you can integrate with other systems.
> Don't let the "dynamic" word in the name get in the road; whether the
> addresses are dynamic or stable over time is a matter of
> administration, not a requirement of the protocol.

Please continue to spread the word about "dynamic" frequently.  I
can't tell you how many times I have had to express the same to people
that have a fear of it because they assume that every address
allocated will be from a dynamic address range or that anything that
plugs into the network will automatically get an IP address.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/