James Carlson wrote:

I think you're confusing two things.

One is the conversion of 'ce' to GLDv3.  That might or might not
happen -- I know of at least one person who is quite interested in it,
but I don't know whether the work will get done.  Given the number of
... special ... features in that driver, it'd be an interesting job to
say the least.
There is an interesting support issue for Trunking and/or Aggregation that needs to be addressed
to support of ce and ge by GLDV3.

Working with Zones and Containers is primarily for a consolidation effort that will demand network bandwidth. We have been using Trunking and IPMP to layout the best of the network infrastructure for perfomance and availability.

Solaris Trunking 1.3 does support ce and ge, unlike Solaris 10 Aggregation (dladm). Since dladm is the focus for future network administration among all the other features & builtin for supporting IP-instances, where Aggregation is a sub function of, isn't it prudent to be strategic reason to push for the support of ce and ge by GLDV3 ?

The other is the support of the ioctls necessary for assignment of
links to a zone, which is needed to support the "exclusive IP stack"
feature, and the tweaks to zoneadmd to make it work.  This *HAS* been
done and is on a path for release.

In S10 currently, the only framework that supports the feature is
GLDv3, which is why the "exclusive IP stack" is tied to GLDv3 support.
But non-GLDv3 drivers can also be modified (with some difficulty) to
support the feature, and that's what's being done for 'ce.'