> Last Friday 2/29 I decided to try Live Upgrade on my Solaris 10 Update
>  4 V480 Sparc box to apply about 50 or so patches with PCA
>  (http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/).
>
>  # cat /etc/release
>                         Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC
>             Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
>                          Use is subject to license terms.
>                              Assembled 16 August 2007
>  # uname -a
>  SunOS ldap-global1 5.10 Generic_127111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R
>
>  My 2 internal drives are mirrored with SVM for the BE and ABE.  I also
>  have 2 sparse zones installed.  I disabled the primary applications
>  (Directory Proxy Server and Directory Server) in the respective zones
>  and applied the following 2 patches first in the global zone of the BE
>  with no errors.
>
>  ./pca --install 119254-51
>  119254 50 < 51 RS-  15 SunOS 5.10: Install and Patch Utilities Patch
>
>  ./pca --install 121430-22
>  121430 21 < 22 ---  15 SunOS 5.8 5.9 5.10: Live Upgrade Patch
>
>  I then ran the following Live Upgrade and PCA commands with no errors.
>
>  lumake -s sol10-2007-08 -n d2
>  lumount d2
>  ./pca -R /.alt.d2 --install
>  luumount d2
>  lurename -e d2 -n sol10p-20080229
>  luactivate sol10p-20080229
>  init 6
>
>  The reboot seemed fine with no errors on the console.  After logging
>  in though I noticed that only 1 of my zones started up correctly
>
>  ldap-global1:/ 124# zoneadm list -cv
>    ID NAME             STATUS     PATH                           BRAND
>    IP
>     0 global           running    /
> native   shared
>     9 ldap-proxy1      running    /zones/ldap-proxy1
> native   shared
>     - ldap-supplc      incomplete /zones/ldap-supplc
> native   shared
>
>  ldap-global1:/ 125# zoneadm -z ldap-supplc boot
>  zoneadm: zone 'ldap-supplc': must be installed before boot.
>
>  Since it seems that the only way to resolve an "incomplete" zone is to
>  uninstall and then install, I decided instead to luactivate the
>  original BE and fallback to that instead.  I didn't see any zone or
>  patch errors in the /var/adm/messages file.
>
>  Perhaps someone can give me a tip of where else to look for relevant
>  error or log files?  If more information on my system config is needed
>  please let me know too.  I would ultimately like to resolve this since
>  applying patches with Live Upgrade seems very easy to do and provides
>  a minimal amount of downtime.

Have you tried a luactivate directly after the lumake ?
There is a bug in cpio that causes lucreate to fail  to create the zones in the
new be when
there is a server in the zone that uses unix domain sockets. One server I had
that caused the
problem was the admin server used for the directory server.

I don't have the CR number available right now.

 Paul