On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Ethan Quach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey Jerry,
>
> I just thought about something regarding the zones dataset
> namespace.  Instead of creating the dataset for zone roots at:
>
>        rpool/export/zones/z1/rpool/ZBE1
>
> Maybe we should insert the "roped off" ROOT container dataset
> like we do in the global zone:
>
>        rpool/export/zones/z1/rpool/ROOT/ZBE1
>
> so that we confine the place where we know boot environment roots
> live.  The reason we do this is in the global zone is so that we
> don't have to troll through potentially thousands of datasets
> (sorting out whatever's been created in the shared area) to find
> BE roots.  This same problem would occur in the zone BE namespace.
>
> Thoughts?

rpool/ROOT seems to be redundant and it repeats itself.  :)

In the global zone, rpool/ROOT makes sense because there needs rpool
and ROOT perform different duties.  In a non-global zone,
rpool/export/zones/z1 is equivalent to the global zone's rpool.  To
maximize synergies (and end abuse of /export - see filesystem(5)), I
suggest:

This is the equivalent of the global zone's rpool.  Or in an
environment where there is a pool per zone, it may be z1pool.

rpool/zones/z1

This is managed by zoneadm and beadm.  If all goes well, they both use
libzonecfg to minimize the chance of divergence.

rpool/zones/z1/ROOT
rpool/zones/z1/ROOT/be1
rpool/zones/z1/ROOT/be2

The rest are available for use within the zone and may be mounted other places

rpool/zones/z1/*

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/