Ethan Quach wrote:
> Jerry Jelinek wrote:
>
>> Evan Layton wrote:
>>
>>> This is the same as what is done with /rpool/ROOT and ZFS boot, with
>>> "ROOT" being the confined area where we place BE's. An admin can still
>>> create things there but this is the only place that we look for BE's.
>>> Datasets outside this are not considered BE's but would be shared
>>> between BE's as is done in the global zone now.
>>>
>> Evan,
>>
>> We can certainly call this .../ROOT instead of .../rpool, if that
>> makes a difference.
>>

> The extra level is what makes the difference, not the name.

Jerry,

Let me try to clarify (if I wasn't clear), the extra level would be just an
organizational convenience, not something required for this to work.
Without ROOT, the zone BE root datasets would have zfs properties
and such to delineate them from random datasets that a zone admin could
have created under <zonepath>/rpool.

    <zonepath>/rpool/ZBE1
    <zonepath>/rpool/ZBE2
    <zonepath>/rpool/foo
    <zonepath>/rpool/foo/bar
    <zonepath>/rpool/export

vs.

    <zonepath>/rpool/ROOT/ZBE1
    <zonepath>/rpool/ROOT/ZBE2
    <zonepath>/rpool/foo
    <zonepath>/rpool/foo/bar
    <zonepath>/rpool/export

Yes, the zone admin could still create random datasets directly under the
ROOT because we have nothing stopping them to, but it's documented to
be a special dataset that they shouldn't play around with.

thanks,
-ethan