On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Jerry Jelinek <gerald.jeli...@sun.com> wrote:

> Since software management for zones on OpenSolaris is still
> evolving, it would be helpful for us if you could describe
> what problems the lack of a sparse zone will cause you.

Solaris 10 with sparse root zones provides an excellent virtualization solution.
If you want systems that are largely identical (but perhaps with different
applications) then it's pretty much optimal, and very resource efficient.

The key advantage of using sparse-root is that there's only one OS to manage.
With whole-root zones, and other heavier solutions, there's an extra OS image
to manage with each virtual system. From an admin perspective, whole-root
zones offer no real advantage over xen/vmware, and while I would (and do)
run sparse-root zones extensively, I would run Xen or VMware rather than
whole-root zones, as they have other capabilities you can leverage.

--
-Peter Tribble