On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Jerry Jelinek <gerald.jeli...@sun.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the write-up.  It is helpful for us to
> know what peoples concerns are for the sparse vs. whole
> root configurations.

Our application make and destroy zones as needed.  We've built up a
set of tools to create, clone, and tear down zones.  We're concerned
more with how fast we can build one and move one, than in how much
memory we're saving by sharing in-memory footprints. (At one time this
was a point to be made but I don't think anyone ever made any
measurement, I could be wrong.)  To make ipkg zones, we'd have to have
access to a repository or maintain a local one (to date I don't think
anyone's done this yet, right?  The default repo is still at a
opensolaris.org space.)   Machines behind air gaps may never be able
to run OS, and if they do, we'd have a harder time making zones on the
fly for them.

1. ipkg zones take longer to build
2. and require an internet connection

Pro OpenSolaris - The breakfast of champions.