i've never tried this, but i'd recommend figuring out if gdm can be run
as an xdmcp server.

optionally, you could also run Xvnc within the zone.

or you could ssh -X to the zone and remote display your apps.

if you're tring to run gdm in the zone to access local hardware
(graphics card, keyboard, mouse, etc) that will be a difficult, since X
now uses hal (which depends on dbus) to discover hardware.  i'm not sure
how you could work around this (my X foo is not that strong).