On 2 feb 2010, at 00:54, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Paul:
>
>> Is it possible to run GDM inside a zone on b131 ? I would like to have a
>> zone I can use to run stuff like netbeans etc in, and
>> I don’t want to use the global zone for that.
>
> It would think that it should be possible, though I have not tried it
> myself.
>
>> As far as I can tell the gdm smf service depends on dbus and that is marked
>> as global zone only.
>
> I do not believe that GDM depends on the system D-Bus service.  Instead,
> D-Bus and ConsoleKit communicate with each other via D-Bus.  So, it
> depends on D-Bus, but not the system D-Bus instance.

I just installed a zone  and I see the following:
r...@dev:~# svcs -a |grep offline
offline        10:12:09 svc:/system/consolekit:default
offline        10:12:09 svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
r...@dev:~#
r...@dev:~# svcs -vx
svc:/system/consolekit:default (ConsoleKit)
 State: offline since Tue Feb 02 10:12:09 2010
Reason: Dependency svc:/system/dbus is absent.
   See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-E2
   See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1m console-kit-daemon
Impact: 1 dependent service is not running:
        svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
r...@dev:~#

That seems to indicate that gdm will not run in a zone with the default
dependencies.
I installed the zone and ran 'pkg -R /zones/dev/root install
SUNWgnome-display-mgr’
to add gdm.

        Paul