On 1 feb 2010, at 22:22, Edward Pilatowicz wrote:

> i've never tried this, but i'd recommend figuring out if gdm can be run
> as an xdmcp server.
> optionally, you could also run Xvnc within the zone.

That is an option I had not thought about...
> or you could ssh -X to the zone and remote display your apps.

That’s no problem but I would like to run a full session in the zone.

> if you're tring to run gdm in the zone to access local hardware
> (graphics card, keyboard, mouse, etc) that will be a difficult, since X
> now uses hal (which depends on dbus) to discover hardware.  i'm not sure
> how you could work around this (my X foo is not that strong).
IMHO there is no reason for the local zone to access any hardware. The X server
would be running in the
global zone.
On Solaris 10 this setup worked without any problems. Dtlogin provided XDMCP
services in the local zone and the dtlogin
in the global zone allowed me to connect to that local zone using the chooser.