I understand, maybe the common client is the best place.

In our situation, if a HBase region server is in the state of being
disconnected for too long, the regions it's holding cannot be reached so
this is a major problem. Also, if the HMaster node gets the event that an
ephemeral is gone, it will begin processing its region server's WAL and if
the region server is still able to talk to HDFS, we have a lease handling
problem. So, in that state of disconnection, the region server should just
kill itself and completely restart.

J-D