Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:
Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
On 15 Nov 2005, at 14:24, yuppie wrote:

The notes should be logged *and* used for reporting in the ZMI.

Implementation:

I'm no logging expert, so I might well be missing something. The state of the art seems to be using the Python logging package (PEP 282). Is it possible to use that framework for reporting as well? It
doesn't look like that.

Replacing the 'note' method in ISetupContext with a more logger  like
API and sending the notes to the Python logger *and* to TTW  reports
might be the way to go.

There could be a "multiplexer" that logs to the standard Zope event  log
*and* keeps the messages in a memory buffer to be displayed in  the
browser. This could be done in a separate class or a logging API  could
be added to ISetupContext. Should be easy to do, really.

I *think* the current setup tool creates a text file with log messages
in it, and stores that file inside the tool.

Couldn't find anything like that in the setup tool. It collects the messages returned by handlers, passes them around and forgets them after the request is finished. The _notes list of the setup context is ignored completely by the tool.

I would prefer to maintain
the data persistently, rather than in RAM;  the API for that could be
extended, of course.

Why would you prefer persistent reports? Wouldn't it be sufficient to have the messages in the event log?

Cheers,

        Yuppie