Am 31.07.2007 um 17:17 schrieb Tres Seaver:

'imperative' indicates that the profile executes arbitrary Python code; 'declarative' indecates that the profile applies external configuration
data, read from one or more data files in the profile.

Running two imperative profiles, A and B, may create different effects
based on the order in which they are run, or whether they are run more
than once.  With declarative profiles, OTOH, the state is all captured
in the data file(s), which means there are no ordering depencencies, and
it is always "safe" (idempotent) to reapply the step.

Thanks for the explanation, Tres. I still find the term distinction somewhat confusing and would suggest "runtime" or "ad hoc" for the second one but if it is an established term in software development then who am I to rewrite the book! While I have a fairly intense dislike of XML I am fully in favour on configuration being kept external to an application although I don't see how conflicts: two products wishing to configure the same object differently can be resolved this way.

However, it seems I am not the only one who been confused by the discussion. Would it make sense to move it to a wiki where we have use cases, problems, etc? What I am personally missing are examples of current "gotchas" and how they can be resolved.

Does http://zope.org/Products/CMF/docs/requirements/proposals/ GenericSetup_architectureflect the current status?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark