On Mar 7, 2008, at 17:28 , Hanno Schlichting wrote:

The CMF trunk currently points to the five.lsm trunk, which doesn't have a version information inside it, as it only uses a part of the actual package. The version information is in the root setup.py, whereas CMF only pulls in the src/five/localsitemanager part of it.

Other packages I know get around this problem by putting version infomation into a proper version.txt file inside the actual code folder and then reading it out to get at the value inside the toplevel setup.py. If there's no specific reason why this is bad I'd suggest that here as well.

Why did we do the above at all? Because we didn't want to require anyone to install a package for the CMF 2.1 line on top of extracting the tarball into the Products folder. For CMF trunk I personally think it is OK, to state a proper dependency in setup.py for both CMF and GenericSetup now and remove the five.lsm inclusion hack from CMFCore.

The dependency should be in setup.py and DEPENDENCIES.txt inside CMFCore, it already exists there, I looked. I'm in favor of removing the hack on the CMFCore trunk.