As both Robert and Joachim (in another message) have noted, core i18n
support is blocked by a single issue: there are two different approaches
  and insufficient consensus about resolving them.

The first criteria that I have is whether someone is willing to become a
CVS contributor and shepherd i18n in a responsible fashion, as Martijn
Faassen has done with XML.  In this sense we suffer from an embarassment
of riches: both Localizer and ZBabel have people willing to step up and
provide leadership.

Unfortunately there isn't someone with sufficient authority on the
subject to annoint one as more right than the other.  And an arbitrary
decision by ZC is sure to leave hard feelings.  Unfortunately this needs
to get cleared up soon, so that an i18n team can start influencing the
component architecture.

I suggest that Stefane and Juan David (Localizer/Nuxeo) and Stephan,
Andrew, and Joachim (ZBabel/iuveno) have a little chat and make a
recommendation for a small next step.

--Paul