Paul Winkler wrote:
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:57:50PM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:

2.6 is also intended to be compatible with Python 2.2. It's just that here at ZC we haven't gone through the rigorous analysis we've been planning. Hmm, come to think of it, the community could actually do that analysis. It wouldn't be terribly difficult. Any volunteers?

Maybe. I'd really like to run with python 2.2. What is involved in the
"rigorous analysis"? Is there a plan I could follow?

We need to follow the same process we used to move to Python 2.1.

This time it should be simpler, though. We first need to produce a migration assessment, similar to this one:

Basically, for each significant change made to Python, we need to evaluate its impact on Zope. Simply putting up a wiki page listing all changes between Python 2.1 and 2.2 would be a good start. If you want to, you could even include changes up to 2.3, so we don't have to do this work again to support Python 2.3.

Hopefully, the evaluation will lead to no changes to Zope, but to have confidence in the evaluation, we need to be thorough and impartial.