After reading this paragraph for the third time I realized you have a very good point here.

<quote by="Evan Simpson">
"Relative" in this context refers to the concept of a "relative path" as used in rfc1808, not to a relationship with a Zope object. It is meant for use in situations such as redirection to a secure page from an insecure one (eg. '' + target.absolute_url(1)) where you would otherwise have to generate the complete URL and then break it apart.

So, what do we want "relative" to mean for absolute_url?