--On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 16:01 Uhr -0500 Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote:

--On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 15:34 Uhr -0500 Jim Fulton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote:

--On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 20:30 Uhr +0100 "Stefan H. Holek"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

*sound of me protesting noisily*

Let me remind you of the Pope's decree:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2004-November/024073.html

I have not seen a proposal so far how to solve this issue that works with a complete Docutils package and without sitecustomize.py and I don't know about a better solution. Having Docutils in sane state from the maintenance prospective is much more important for me than leaving it as it was.

As I said in one of my responses to this thread, I see no problem that
this extra directory solves.  Could you please explain what problem
you think an extra directory will solve?

Stefan complained about the sitecustomize.py file and the additional paths injected inside the file. Moving docutils as a whole to lib/python would not solve the problem with similar adjustments to sys.path.

AFAICT, the problem is that you made a change that requires lots of scripts to be modified and become slightly more complicated. This is not a huge deal if there's a good reason for it, but I can't figure out what that reason could be. See below.

You're still not getting the point. Z2 shipped and Z3 ships with a *stripped*
down version of Docutils where only the "docutils" subfolder is used. Now
the *whole* package is included which makes it necessary to adjust the paths.
Moving this as a whole to lib/python does *not* solve the need to adjust the
path using sitecustomize.py or by adding paths to runzope&friends.

Docutils should be kept *somewhere* as a *whole* which makes updating much easier.
Moving the package to lib/python does *not* solve Stefans problem which is maybe
only a problem on Stefan's side (I don't know).

I would appreciate it if people in the community could come up with reasonable
proposals and ideas how to solve problems instead of fighting against solutions being
made. Especially the Z2 community is currently in a state where there is much talking
and crying of people about Z2 issues that sux or must be resolved but there is really only
a small, small of people really doing something substantial work.

So looking back at this issue: the solution is working except for Stefan and if there is a problem
anyone should suggest a reasonable problem or just fix the original problem (maintainability
of Docutils) in a better way than I did. Otherwise we should keep it as it is or revert to
an older version that has not the problems. But in this case I won't care about Docutils
in future versions.

Andreas