Andreas Jung wrote:

--On 4. November 2005 11:27:10 -0500 Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Most people who download Zope 2 are not Python programmers. Many of them
become Python programmers later.  I think this is a big part of Zope 2's
value proposition that we haven't matched in Zope 3 yet.

Having said that, I don't really like the configure/make farce myself.
I'd be happy to get rid of it.  I'm also happy to defer to the vocal
majority.  Maybe it's worth revisiting this, which is why the provocative
subject. :)

Unless you have time enough I would keep it :-)

Time enough for what?  configure/make is just extra maintenance
burden.

> From my experience using
configure was never a problem

It was a problem this week. :)

> - neither for newbies nor advanced Zope
users. People unable to run "configure; make" are also likely unable to run any other kind of command to perform the same task.

I wasn't arguing that configure/make was hard to use.  I'm arguing
that it's something extra to maintain and is just silly.

It's main benefit is that it leverages a familiar pattern, but
I'm not convinced that it's worth it. Also, as tools like rpm and
deb become more widely used, I'm not sure how familar the configure/make
dance is.  Other than Python and Zope, I never use configure/make anymore.

Jim