Andrew Sawyers wrote:
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:47 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

I'll note, FWIW, that we don't do installs from Zope 3 checkouts.
I think it's worth asking whether this is an important requirement.
If it is, then we should make it work.  Question is, is it worth
delaying the release?  I don't know.

I think it's an important requirement; many of us have done this dance
for years.  The reason I'd suspect this got done by Chris M was to ease
our pains we'd had to work around over time and make it easier for
people coming into the Zope Community - or their support staff (i.e.

But those people use releases, not checkouts AFAIK.

If we did stay with the current situation, we'd need to cleanup the
documentation so that a developer can easily reminder herself
what she can do and how to do it.

If it's indeed *easy* and clear, that should be ok.  It just needs to
work sensibly  :)  So many of us are used to the ./configure; make; make
install dance.

I'll note that, as a developer, I have never done this and probably
never would want to do this.

The only use case for this is a deployer of Zope that wants to install an
unreleased revision of Zope.  If this use case is driving this, a better
solution might be to build automatic snapshot releases.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation