Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
Yes, the 6 month cycle is very short. All of a sudden we have a situation where a whole slew of releases/branches is out there (2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, trunk)

Indeed, this seems to be purely an artifact of time-based releases. I'm sure I'm not the only one who routinely has projects that see no maintenance for over a year, and doesn't like moving major zope versions without a compelling reason. The hops most of my projects seemed to have made are 2.5->2.6-->2.7->2.9, but I'm only just getting onto 2.9 and people are talking about 2.11 already. So, that means if I want to fix a bug for one of my non-moved projects, I need to patch the 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11 branches, as well as the trunk.

Anyone else think that's completely insane?!

For me, the fact that Zope 2.9.3 still emits
deprecation warnings on a fresh install (zLOG...) is a pretty bad sign.

I think this is a dead horse now. Some things were deprecated without actually converting all instances where the deprecated code was in use. It's in your power to do something about it, go ahead.

Yeah, I have been, but I've hit exactly the problem described above. I fixed one chunk of zLOG warning on 2.9, and found they'd been fixed by someone else on the trunk in a different fashion. Pretty annoying :-(