Dieter Maurer wrote:
During our latest discussion to put my most important Zope2 products
into a public repository, I have promissed to publish them on
PyPI instead. Yesterday, I started work to fulfill this promiss
and carefully read the PyPI related documentation -- to find
out, that it is not easy to publish Zope2 products.

As the name suggests, PyPI is for Python packages.
And Zope2 products rightfully are no Python packages:

Sure they are. They're a directory with an __init__.py.

I think this is a misunderstanding. It seems you think Python packages have to be installed globally. This isn't the case. And certainly nobody would recommend doing that for Products packages.

   When a Zope instance starts, it does potentially
   expensive things for its products.

This would only be a problem if the Products packages were installed globally. They don't have to. See below.

   I have tiny Zope instances with a few inexpensive products
   that start within a few seconds. And I have huge
   Zope instances with lots of products which parse huge
   XML files or have large message catalogs
   and take half to one minute to start.

   Definitely, I do not want that all my Zope
   instances use the same products installed
   via "setuptools" somewhere under the central "site-packages".

Nobody expects you to. As others have pointed out

* PyPI doesn't necessarily have to contain eggs. It's primarily a discovery mechanism for humans. The fact that setuptools can download packages from it is not as important as the fact that developers can find packages there.

* Installing eggs doesn't necessarily mean they're installed globally into site-packages. There are a number of mechanism to create isolated sandboxes, some of which include turning a Zope 2 instance into an egg-capable sandbox (in other words, so that lib/python can contain eggs). And then there's zc.buildout, of course.

My current ideas towards a solution:

  We define a package prefix for Zope2 products, e.g. "zope2.products".
  Zope2 products are published to PyPI as "<prefix>.<productname>".

-1

+1 for *continuing* to use the already widely used Products prefix.

  We extend the Zope2 configuration with an option "additional-products"
  which lists the products used by the instance that are not
  at a standard place -- such as those installed by "setuptools"

As long as the packages are on the PYTHONPATH, Zope 2 will find them. I don't think there's a need for this new directive.