Andreas Jung wrote:

I think there are currently several approaches doing products-as-eggs in the Zope 2 world - I also lost track a bit and have no idea how to do it the right way[tm].

To my knowledge, there are only two, complementary approaches:

 1. Keep the Products.* namespace

   - distribute your egg with a namespace package 'Products'
   - only works (reliably) on zope trunk/2.11+
   - ZCML processing and initialize() is implicit/automated

 2. Use a regular python package (whether with a namespace or not)

   - distribute your egg with any namespace (or no namespace)
   - most of the plone.app.* packages are products
   - works on Zope 2.10.4+
- ZCML is only processed if the package is explicitly included from site.zcml (or a ZCML slug, or another package/product that is being processed) - The package only becomes a product if the <five:registerPackage /> ZCML directive is in use

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress