On Feb 23, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Roger Ineichen wrote:
What do you mean by:

"develop eggs are also used for many system package installs :("

See: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#install-command

This is the technique that Ubuntu uses to install eggs into the Ubuntu system Python. The eggs are unpacked into site-packages, so all eggs use a common source directory rather than each having a separate zip file or directory. Setuptools marks these as develop eggs. Buildout can't easily tell these apart from normal develop eggs. I find this to be very annoying.

I could probably make buildout treat develop eggs with links in the develop-eggs directory differently.

As you found out, you can simply override the version in your

Only for development, it doesn't make sense this duplicated

Martijn agrees with you. I'm on the fence.

It sound like a additionl seatbelt.

Or sit up.

For what is this
double definition good for? Or is this based on some implementation

It's mainly a matter of explicit is better than implicit, but it comes down to the meaning of the versions option.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation