Despite protestations to the existence of a ZCatalog caching tool I've
finally released it to :)

A disclaimer is on order here: I agree that there are many other places
where performance needs to be addressed and that catalogcache masks
those areas; however, it works well and should solve performance
problems on sites with expensive queries.

Andreas Jung, Christian Theune and Roche Compaan gave me a few great
tips - thanks for that. Roche has also done benchmarking with it.

Andreas asked about the hit rate earlier. Memcached itself operates at a
96% overall hit rate. Individual Plone catalogs (portal_catalog etc)
vary, but they usually run at above 90% hit rate with portal_catalog
dropping to 80% in cases. This is of course dependent on the usage
pattern of the site.

So give it a go, or shout at me and tell me that it is a bad idea :)