On 27 Oct 2008, at 13:10, Roché Compaan wrote:

Improving the performance of indexes is really really hard. In this case I really don't think caching is a band-aid, it is a good solution. Even
with optimised indexes, you will find that you need caching to get
reasonable performance if you have a catalog with close to a million or more documents indexed. Given a large enough catalog, I would argue that
caching is equally as necessary as having a large cache for a ZEO

But caches expire and results get invalidated, and therefor we should
continue to optimise indexes. With some help we should be able to
contribute at this level too.

Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                   http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za

Thanks to you and everyone else working on these sometimes thankless performance improvements.

Russ Ferriday - Topia Systems - Open Source content management with Plone and Zope [EMAIL PROTECTED] - office: +44 2076 1777588 - mobile: +44 7789 338868 - skype: ferriday