On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Roché Compaan
> I agree that one should look at improving performance without caching as
> well. But this is a lot harder and takes significantly more development
> and debugging time than introducing some form caching. So I'm not
> convinced that it needs to happen in a certain order. If caching gives
> you lots of performance with little effort now, then why shouldn't you
> use it?

Improve catalog and application use of it really hard and memcached is
here to scale much better.
I know about lovely.memcached and I have some interest is zope and
memcache integration, particulary transactional integration.

I will sugest a package called zope.memcached (like zope.sqlalchemy
does for SQLAlchemy integration).
That way any application who need to talk memcached can do it with out
loose atomicit.

At  Weimar, we have doing some memcached integration for a huge
portal, all content there is grabed from SOA services, and parse XML
is too slow.

Memcached is in use for many high load sites to store database
information because retrival time dont degrade and can scale so much
better. Improve Indexes must be done too, but for large sites, no one
beat memcached. ;-)

> --
> Roché Compaan
> Upfront Systems
> Zope-Dev maillist  -
> (Related lists -
> )

Rudá Porto Filgueiras
Weimar Consultoria

Hospedagem Plone, Django, Zope 3, Grok...