Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> OK, the former I can see happening on an end-user project, the latter is
>>> just too much work.
>
> Not really.  Collect the tarballs, run a script, configure Apache to
> serve that diretory.

Hmm, too much... but is it needed?
Can you not point index at just a local folder on disk?
I'm sure the Plone folks did something like this, maybe Hanno can chime in?

>> A meta egg is an egg that only list dependencies and does not contain
>> code of its own.
>
> I also intened that eggified-Zope2 releases would "pin" the underlying
> versions, so that installing it would give you a fixed configuration.

I think this makes sense for whatever replaces the "tarball release".

> Others overrode that choice, preferring to have an "upgradeable"
> version, which then requires a KGS.  It might be sensible to distribute
> both variants, actually.

Yeah, I think a "naked egg" that pins the right versions and a "big fat
tarball" which is absolutely nailed to only use the stuff it ships with
makes sense...

...tricky to install "extra stuff" in the latter though.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk