Hi Wichert

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] setting missing minimum version in setup.py
>
> Previously Andreas Jung wrote:
> >
> > On 23.03.2009 14:26 Uhr, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >

> > > This is an important point. As I see it the KGS is a Zope-only
> > > thing, and is just a workaround for the mindless behaviour of
> > > setuptools. I do not see it gaining acceptance outside of
> the Zope
> > > community, and imho effort is better spent on improving
> the packaging tools.
> > >

> > Are there other Python projects that have to deal with such a huge
> > amount of packages and dependencies? I don't know any
> similar project.
> > So the solution must come from the Zope world (which does not mean
> > that we participate in the packaging toolchain development
> as Tarek does).
>
> I don't know. I just feel quite strongly that improving the
> packaging tools would be a better use of manpower than
> working on the KGS in its current form.

Stephan imlemented the KGS because there where a couple of
limitations which we run into. I think the best you can do is
to find out what they issues are which the KGS solves.

After that you are very welcome to show us a better way to solve
the same issues at a package lavel.

Probably a way to go is to make both concept compatible with
each other. Which probably means we should be able to ignore
versions in packages if a KGS concept get used?
(not sure if this is possible)

Regards
Roger Ineichen