On Aug 18, 2012, at 15:46 , Lennart Regebro <rege...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <j...@dataflake.org> wrote:
>> Legally this must be a fork then and I'm not sure it can be released as
>> official Zope Foundation software anymore if you make releases from GitHub.
>> Reason: the ZF can no longer ascertain that only official ZF contributor
>> agreement signers have modified code in the package, which is a core
>> requirement for software released from Zope Foundation repositories/under
>> Zope Foundation auspices.
> Is this because of the support for merging pull requests? Is that
> really legally different than a contributor making a merge from a
> patch?

Hi Lennart,

The contributor agreement requires you as the contributor to be able to enter
into the contract with the Zope Foundation transferring one half ownership to
the Zope Foundation. You can only enter into this contract if you own (as in
"wrote") the code yourself - you cannot assign ownership to someone else for
something you don't fully own.

The goal of these contractual requirements is to make sure software stored in
the Zope Foundation is as "clean" as possible from an ownership standpoint.
People who use code from svn.zope.org have a reasonable assurance that no third
party will show up on your doorstep demanding money or license fees for code
that third party claims to own.

I've just recently seen what can happen for projects not following this kind of
strict policy: The python-ldap package developers are unable to e.g. assign a
new license to their code because since they don't hold any ownership and would
need to ask every single developer who ever touched that code - an impossible
task. For us that kind of issue does not arise.