On Aug 19, 2012, at 3:58 , Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net> wrote:

> IANAL but from my perspective the legitimate issue here is that Domen Ko┼żar
> has not signed the Zope Contributor's Agreement, but Jim has added him to the
> Buildout organization on GitHub and he has been committing fixes. If I were
> the ZF, I would either:
>
> - Make sure everyone in any ZF organizations on GitHub (e.g. buildout) has
> signed the contributor agreement, or
> - Declare that nothing on GitHub (or at least in the buildout organization)
> is a valid contribution to "the work".
>
> In either case, AFAICT zc.buildout development has stopped on svn.zope.org
> and started on GitHub so let us let the commit stand to reflect this real
> world circumstance.

Right now it can only be the second option. There's no "ZF organization" on
GitHub. Legally, the zc.buildout fork now existing on GitHub is independent of
the ZF, and the developers maintaining it are acting independent of the ZF.
Don't get me wrong, they have every right to do so. But right now they cannot
claim their software as being part of the Zope Foundation set of software. The
same is true for all packages forked onto GitHub that were maintained on
svn.zope.org before.

This may change in the future should the ZF one day embrace GitHub as the
canonical repository, but that hasn't happened at this point.

jens