Hi

On 2012-08-19 11:05:39 +0000, Lennart Regebro said:

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Jens Vagelpohl <j...@dataflake.org> wrote:
Speaking for myself as ZF representative, it is my duty to make sure that chain of custody for the code is upheld and safeguarded. Convenience, which I feel is driving the move towards GitHub, is nice to have. But I would not do my job if I didn't make extra-sure that any move for Zope Foundation code did not fulfil all legal requirements before spending much thought on convenience.

Absolutely, and you are doing a good job as well, as you have no
identified a problem that we have been having for a long time, before
the problem actually turns legal. That's an amazing relief, because it
means we can fix it.

FWIW I have pointed Domen Kožar at the contributor agreement instructions located here:

- http://docs.zope.org/developer/becoming-a-committer.html

and he is interested in signing.

What I'd like to see is this issue addressed by a lawyer so we can figure out how to make GitHub work for Zope. If Jim's work on Buildout 2 on GitHub is considered a fork, then I think something is wrong with our process.

Here are some scenarios to demonstrate what I think the important issues we must clarify are:

Scenario 1
--------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits code to svn.zope.org, no problem.

Scenario 2
---------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits patches from other people (who have not signed the agreement) to svn.zope.org, not allowed, IIUC.

Scenario 3
---------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits code to GitHub/buildout, no problem.

Scenario 4
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits patches from other people (who have not signed the agreement) to GitHub/buildout not allowed, IIUC.

Scenario 5
- No commits from anyone who has not signed the contributor agreement are allowed.

If we can all agree on the above, then the only thing left AFAICT is for the ZF to "bless" GitHub/buildout as a ZF repository and have a lawyer confirm that this blessing has merit from a legal perspective.

Alex

//Lennart

Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com