On 19.08.2012 12:16, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On Aug 19, 2012, at 10:55 , Robert Niederreiter <r...@squarewave.at> wrote:

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS.txt

btw - pyramid seem to have a very pragmatic approach for the signing process ;)

An approach I doubt will hold up in a court of law. We require and have wet signatures,
which makes me feel a lot more "on the safe side".
Thats fine to everyone i think. Referring to github this would require to give write access only to people who have signed the agreement.

Either way - SVN or GIT - it is just a question IF merging code from a
non-contributor is done BY a contributor, not HOW.

Done by a contributor with some clear gesture from the non-contributor that
code ownership is going into the hands of that contributor.
How does this 'clear gesture' from the non-contributor look like right now? A patch attached to an email or a bug report? As Lennard pointed out, how does this differ from a pull request attached to a repository?

For me the discussion sounds a little like a general denial against github
using the legal story as rationale.

Speaking for myself as ZF representative, it is my duty to make sure that chain
of custody for the code is upheld and safeguarded. Convenience, which I feel is
driving the move towards GitHub, is nice to have. But I would not do my job if
I didn't make extra-sure that any move for Zope Foundation code did not fulfil
all legal requirements before spending much thought on convenience.
Also perfectly fine.

Maybe it's anyway a good idea to find a process enabling contributors going to github with ZF code.

robert

jens

Robert Niederreiter

Squarewave Computing