On 9/27/06, Jens Vagelpohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 27 Sep 2006, at 17:01, Justizin wrote:

> Will they slave a zone these days? ;)
> On 9/27/06, Chris Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> > If DNS is a bottleneck I volunteer to host the zope.org zone on my
>> > colocated servers (ns1.dataflake.org as primary, ns1.zetwork.com as
>> > secondary). The data center they are in (in Richmond/VA) has
>> redundant
>> > internet connectivity and a sterling uptime record for their
>> network.
>> I can do the same using rackspace's DNS servers...

If Chris runs a name server then Rackspace doesn't have any influence
on Chris' decision to use it as a slave for someone else...

Jens.. heh.

Perhaps I am making a wild and sweeping assumption here, but I think
that Chris is talking about the DNS servers which are controlled by
software the team I worked on at Rackspace was responsible for, and
look like ns.rackspace.com. ;)

So, I'm actually curious if they have implemented a feature which was
not high priority when I worked there, and that is the ability to
configure their nameservers as slaves.  The inverse was implemented

Tom - do you know if Rackspace's nameservers are capable of serving up
a slave copy of a zone which is managed at ZoneEdit.com?  We'd like to
de-centralize the zope.org zone so that no one individual or
organization such as Zope Corp are responsible for / in control of it.
I presume one of our volunteers is a Rackspace customer, and is thus
offering to host our domain as part of their account.

Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter