On 9/27/06, Chris Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Justizin wrote:
> Perhaps I am making a wild and sweeping assumption here, but I think
> that Chris is talking about the DNS servers which are controlled by
> software the team I worked on at Rackspace was responsible for, and
> look like ns.rackspace.com. ;)

Yep, so you're responsible for that crappy ui?
Dotster's wins for ease of use so far...

Not personally, but I will take the hit. ;)

Actually, the UI that I worked on was AJAX before AJAX had a name, and
was primarily directed toward employees.

The tools were all written when the company was very young, and, eh,
yeh, they have not been rewritten.

Let's simply say that I felt rather strongly that we should have moved
to Zope, and we didn't, so I don't work on that PHP anymore.  It was
an interesting project, however.

> So, I'm actually curious if they have implemented a feature which was
> not high priority when I worked there, and that is the ability to
> configure their nameservers as slaves.

Don't think so, it's just that I can "host dns" there for stuff that
isn't hosted on their servers.

I'd hope their nameservers are also pretty robust?

When I left, I believe NS and NS2 were both load balanced clusters of
three large machines, which probably sit behind PrevenTier, a patented
DoS-aversion system, now.  They may also have moved onto geographic
load balancing.  I wouldn't really know.

> Tom - do you know if Rackspace's nameservers are capable of serving up
> a slave copy of a zone which is managed at ZoneEdit.com?

When I wrote that email, I was actually proposing hosting the masters
there. I don't mind being "DNS boy" for zope.org and I'd hope
rackspace's nameservers would scale to the challenge...

If you want to do that, I don't object to losing Czar status. ;)

I am concerned that we can't easily allow a team of people who aren't
on your private customer account access to do this.  I'm already
concerned that with my ZoneEdit account I can't give anyone else
access, and was going to propose opening a Zope Foundation account
which several people could have access to.

That said, concern raised, what do Martijin and others think?

We could still slave to Rack's nameservers.

> We'd like to
> de-centralize the zope.org zone so that no one individual or
> organization such as Zope Corp are responsible for / in control of it.

If I ever did stop doing Zope stuff (hahahaha) then I'd happilly hand
the records on to someone else.

But of course, or the foundation would steal them back. :-P

If I dropped dead (or got taken out by that hitman Jens keeps on
promising), the DNS could similarly be moved elsewhere...

> I presume one of our volunteers is a Rackspace customer, and is thus
> offering to host our domain as part of their account.

That'd be me ;-)

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter