On Feb 15, 2006, at 6:03 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

Hi there,

a while back I wrote a proposal on simplifying the skinning system
(http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifySkinning). I got a lot of useful
feedback which in turn made me update the proposal. Since then I haven't
heard much comments. I would like to start implementing it soon,
especially since the time schedule has been moved up one month. Please
speak up now if you got any remaining comments.

Silence is assent :).

I guess I'm +0 on your current proposal, and +1 on its goals.

I like many parts of it. I didn't like the fact that the zcml ended up being longer. I didn't love that people had to start asking questions about interface types in order to register a skin. Interface types are a cost--another layer of abstraction, another potentially mind-blowing thing to explain.

You are already suggesting changing the zcml, and I'd like to see a compromise between the brevity of the current zcml and the conceptual clarity of your proposed changes.

I tried to brainstorm, but didn't love what I came up with. Maybe it can take us somewhere. What if we still deprecated browser:layer but kept a redefined version of browser:skin? Then your zcml--

could become

<browser:skin component=".interfaces.ShanghaiSkin" name="ShanghaiSkin" />

The rest of your example would remain the same.

It doesn't accomplish everything you set out to do, and that's a shame, but it feels like a compromise with a reasonable counter- argument: defining skins is a basic task often introduced early on with teaching Zope, and it's a shame to have to bloat the zcml and teach advanced topics too soon.

I'd like to at least get the <interface...> zcml out of this story.