Jim Fulton wrote:
Shane Hathaway wrote:
+1. When I learn a skill, it is at first completely explicit, and as the skill becomes predictable and reliable, it gradually becomes implicit. If I kept everything explicit, I would hinder myself from building higher level skills.

So explicit is better than implicit until a sufficiently tight abstraction comes about. Take memory management: yesterday it was explicit (malloc/free); today it's mostly implicit (garbage collection). Garbage collection is both an abstraction, since programmers no longer manage memory directly, and an indirection, since programmers now use APIs that call malloc and free. We all agree GC is good, so explicit is definitely not always better than implicit.

Thanks for explaining "Explicit is better than implicit,
except when it's not."

Admittedly, I should have posted that in my blog, not here. :-)

Shane