Dieter Maurer wrote:
Tres Seaver wrote at 2006-9-2 13:03 -0400:
I'm OK with having "in-tree" code not use zapi, but I don't see a win in
propagating all the mess out to the rest of the world.  I'll also note
that "janitorial deprecation" is way too common in the tree today:
people decide they don't like the name a method was given, and deprecate
it in favor of the "better" name.  The ongoing cost of that deprecation
is then borne by everyone else.

I have the feeling that almost the complete Python community is
abusing deprecations. I was hit by deprecations in the "email" package:

   The deprecation told me to use a different method, but this
   method was not a full replacement for the old one and failed
   in my use case. In the next release, my old method was
   removed -- but fortunately, I know how to recreate methods
   and silence stupid deprecations.

That is unfortunate example of obviously bad deprecation. Deprecation is hard and it requires a great deal of thought. But it can be manageable in many cases.