Chris Withers wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

That is unfortunate example of obviously bad deprecation. Deprecation is hard and it requires a great deal of thought. But it can be manageable in many cases.

Still feels like there's too much fo it happening in the Zope 3 world.

I refuse to believe that all the Zope 3 developers are that bad that they get it wrong in ways which need deprecating so often ;-)

I think there are many things that we didn't get right the first time, or even the second time. Jim always says that when you don't really understand things, you tend to overengineer them. I think that's what happened a lot of the times. Zope 3 was pioneer land and we needed time to understand how it works best.

Nearly all of the large refactorings that Zope 3 had in the last couple of years were major simplifications, such as a flatter package structure, an easier Component Architecture, an easier local Component Architecture, a simpler approach to skinning, etc. I think if the API conservatism gets too high, we'll end up with something like Zope 2 again and its unmanageable constructs like the one you presented earlier in this thread. We'll need to find the right balance.