Dieter Maurer wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2006-11-15 15:08 +0100:
def myStrAdapter(something):
   return str(something)
It instantiates a 'str' object. The 'str' object is the adapter for 'something'.

Huh? This would be a severe terminology abuse:

I agree, it's bending the terminology a lot. It wasn't me who came up with the 'str' and 'int' example.

  An adapter should adapt something to something else *BUT*
  an "str" object does not adapt anything (it does not operate on
  another object).

Well, imagine

  >>> str(123)

Here '123' is the 'str' adapter of the integer 123. It's conceptually the same if you do

  >>> IZopeDublinCore(myobj)

except that in the str(123) case, you call the class directly instead of using the Component Architecture's registry as a flexible dispatch.